Kids Night Lights
Childrens night lights to help them sleep through the night
Do my children need a night light? Will it help them sleep? Which one should I buy?
Finding the right night light for kids isn’t always straightforward. But it should be. That’s why we’ve addressed parents key concerns and found the very best night lights for children.
Helping your children feel safe and get a good nights sleep is as easy as flicking a switch.
Is it okay to use a night light?
In many situations, it’s more than okay to use a night light. It’s recommended. It can help children feel safe and secure and get a good night's sleep. We’ll address the specifics below.
At what age should you stop using a night light?
When kids no longer want to use a night light — they can stop using one. It’s not important what specific age they are, be it three or seven, it’s that they feel secure enough to sleep all night without a night light.
What is the purpose of using a night light?
Night lights for kids have a few main purposes.
1. Feel safe and secure. Kids are prone to nightmares and a fear of the dark. A night light helps them feel safe and secure alone in their room.
2. Find your way in the dark. For young babies, a night light can help parents find their way around the room to change diapers and give nightly feeds — without turning on the bright overhead light. It makes it easy for both your baby and yourself to get back to sleep.
3. Help with potty training. Night lights can help kids find their own way in the dark as they become potty trained. With a night light, kids can make it to the bathroom on their own.
4. Calm babies. Some children are much calmer when they have some soft light to illuminate their surroundings.
Why is sleep important for children's development?
Sleep is essential for a child’s healthy development and growth. Studies show that children who get an adequate amount of sleep have improved attention spans, behaviour, memory and overall health.
How much sleep should children get?
The amount of sleep a child needs depends on their age.
> Infants under 1 year: 12 to 16 hours
> Children 1-2 years old: 11 t0 14 hours
> Children 3-5 years old: 10 to 13 hours
> Children 6-12 years old: 9 to 12 hours
> Teenagers 13-18 years old: 8 to 10 hours
How can I help my child sleep through the night?
Here are the top 10 things you can do to help your child get a good night's sleep.
1. Make sure they feel safe and secure at night. Night lights for kids will help with that.
2. Relax before bedtime. Whether it’s reading a book or taking a warm bath, it’s important to encourage them to relax.
3. Create a bedtime routine for them. Starting at the same time each night and including the same things such as a bath and story, will help build good sleep patterns.
4. Wake up at the same time each day. This helps keep their body clock in a regular pattern.
5. For kids five years old and up, limit naps during the day to 20 minutes.
6. Make sure their bedroom is quiet so there are no noises that will wake them up.
7. Don’t keep a clock in their room. When they have one eye on the clock, kids find it harder to fall asleep.
8. Make sure your kids have been fed so they are neither too full or hungry.
9. Avoid chocolate, cola, tea and energy drinks because they all contain caffeine.
10. Get plenty of natural light during the day; especially before noon. This helps set their melatonin levels so they are awake during the day and tired at night.
Why are bedside lamps so popular?
If you need some luminescence to read by then it is time to get yourself a fun and funky bedside lamp. There are two types of lamps. The boring stuck standard, plain colour, light bulb and not much else. These are completely uninspiring, cheap and nasty. Then there are creative, well-designed lamps that emit and different type of glow. The incandescence from these bedside lamps is unparalleled and will illuminate your bedroom with warmth. These are the type of bedside lamps that are not just there for the light that they provide, they are a real visual centerpiece in their own right. Think lamps that are shaped like cactuses, or a dinosaur shaped lamp or a giraffe or a cloud. Our bedside lamps are way outside the box.
Why are kids night lights so popular?
As a parent, you would know how hard it can be to get kids to sleep at night. Everyone at some point in their life is a little bit scared of the dark. Night lights are a great way to add an ambient glow that isn't too bright to a child's bedroom. We've got a big range of quirky and fun night lights that provide the added refraction to ward off the oogie boogie man. There are heaps of designs kids will adore like the cute narwhal night light and the colour changing rabbit that emits different hues of ambient light.
What are the most fun facts about lights?
> Light is a form of energy.
> Light appears from wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation which are picked up and processed by the human eye. These beams move in waves and are made up of both electric and magnetic fields.
> All humans require light to see, for their eyes to function. Each human's ability to detect light is different with the majority of people falling within the range of 400 to 700 billionths of a meter.
> The term 'lightspeed' has become a popular expression to describe something that moves very fast. This is because light travels at phenomenal speeds in straight lines which are referred to as 'rays'. Light will continue in a straight line until something bends it.
> The speed of light travels at 300,000 kilometers per second which means light from the sun will take 8 minutes to reach earth spanning a distance of 149 million kilometres.
> Light is harnessed and used for many different applications in the world such as the lenses in cameras. And also in nifty lighting contraptions such lamps!
Ready? Find the perfect night light for your little one and keep the boogie monsters at bay during the night.