COOL LIGHTING ONLINE AUSTRALIA
HOME LIGHTING: QUIRKY LAMPS, NIGHT LIGHTS & MORE
Lighting is one of the most important elements of your home. Bad light can make everything look dull and lifeless. Even a home decorated with the finest art, furniture, and accessories will fall below the mark if the lighting is poor. Yellow Octopus has some of the trendiest lighting solutions around. From funky bedside lamps to children’s night lights, power-saving L.E.D. lighting concepts as well as themed and novelty lights. But it doesn’t stop there, we’ve got ones that attach to bikes, to dogs and even some that attach to yourself.
If you need some luminescence to read by then it is time to get yourself a fun and funky bedside lamp. There are two types of lamps. The boring stuck standard, plain colour, light bulb and not much else. These are completely uninspiring, cheap and nasty. Then there are creative, well-designed lamps that emit and different type of glow. The incandescence from these bedside lamps is unparalleled and will illuminate your bedroom with warmth. These are the type of bedside lamps that are not just there for the light that they provide, they are a real visual centerpiece in their own right. Think lamps that are shaped like cactuses, or a dinosaur shaped lamp or a giraffe or a cloud. Our bedside lamps are way outside the box.
Need some luminous luxury outside of the bedroom? Need to strobe a different setting? Have you got an area of the house that is out of sunlight's reach? Add a designer table lamp and you can have rays shining wherever you please. Table lamps are specifically designed to become an element of the room, they are meant to be noticed and admired. They're not meant to just blend into the background like some other more understated light pieces. When you're talking about table lamps you're talking about brightness, colour and original design.
KIDS NIGHT LIGHTS
As a parent, you would know how hard it can be to get kids to sleep at night. Everyone at some point in their life is a little bit scared of the dark. Night lights are a great way to add an ambient glow that isn't too bright to a child's bedroom. We've got a big range of quirky and fun night lights that provide the added refraction to ward off the oogie boogie man. There are heaps of designs kids will adore like the cute narwhal night light and the colour changing rabbit that emits different hues of ambient light.
So bring yourself out of the dark ages and join force with Edison. Our range of lighting options is not just extensive, it’s quirky, zany and in some areas downright crazy! But we, at Yellow Octopus, understand that sometimes you need minimalist lighting options, contemporary ideas, and classy lights, so we’ve got you covered on all those bases as well.
FUN FACTS ABOUT LIGHT:
- Light is a form of energy
- Light appears from wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation which are picked up and processed by the human eye
- These beams move in waves and are made up of both electric and magnetic fields
- All humans require light to see, for their eyes to function. Each human's ability to detect light is different with the majority of people falling within the range of 400 to 700 billionths of a meter
- The term 'lightspeed' has become a popular expression to describe something that moves very fast. This is because light travels at phenomenal speeds in straight lines which are referred to as 'rays'. Light will continue in a straight line until something bends it.
- The speed of light travels at 300,000 kilometers per second which means light from the sun will take 8 minutes to reach earth spanning a distance of 149 million kilometres
- Light is harnessed and used for many different applications in the world such as the lenses in cameras. And also in nifty lighting contraptions such lamps!
- Regular incandescent light bulbs only convert 5% of the energy to light and the remaining 95% is converted into heat. The opposite is true of LED bulbs which convert 95% of energy to light with almost no wastage as heat. This means LED lights are much more energy efficient which reduces power costs exponentially.
How does a light globe work?
According to Wikijunior, "Electricity flows through a thin wire in the light bulb called the filament. ... Therefore as a result of this, the filament heats up and starts glowing, converting electrical energy to light energy. This is because of the Joule-effect, which means that resistances heat up when electrical current runs through them." This is true of both incandescent and halogen lights. In modern times LED light (Light Emitting Diode) have become popular due to their energy efficiency.
Prior to the invention of the light globe, the only way to escape the darkness was by other forms of light such as fire and most homes were lit by candles. Although light globes did exist in different forms prior to 1879, this is when Thomas Edison invented the 'commercially produced' globes that we know today.
So bring yourself out of the dark ages and join force with Edison. Our range of lighting options is not just extensive, it’s quirky, zany and in some areas downright crazy! But we, at Yellow Octopus, understand that sometimes you need minimalist lighting options, contemporary ideas and classy lights, so we’ve got you covered on all those bases as well.