What Is Movember?
In Australia, the 11th month of the year was previously known as November. Now us Aussies call it Movember, to raise awareness for men's health. Movember is a month-long moustache growing charity event to raise awareness and fund for men’s health. Everyone who signs up at Movember.com has three options to participate. You can grow a moustache, walk or run 60km through the month, or host a Mo-ment by gathering friends.
The Inspiring Movember Australia Story
In, 2003 there were 30 Mo Bros. Now there’s been 5 million Mo Bros and Mo Sistas to date. How did it happen?
In 2003, two Aussie legends, Travis Garone and Luke Slattery, were catching up for a beer. They missed the moustache trend. Could they bring it back? They took up the challenge by starting a 30 day challenge. The next year they turned it into a foundation and began raising funds to support men’s health.
Today, over 5 million people have participated. The Movember Foundation receives a ranking of 49 out of the top 500 non-governmental-organisations around the world. Participating countries now include Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Hong Kong, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and USA.
What Are The Movember Rules?
1. First up, you want to register at Movember.com. Then on the 1st of November you must begin with a clean shaven face.
2. For the month of November you must grow your mustache without shaving it.
3. Stick to a traditional mustache - that means no beard, no goatee, No - nothing but a moustache.
4. Take advantage of your conversation-starting mustache. Let others know about men’s health and the importance to raise funds (available through the Movember Foundation).
5. Adopt the spirit of the foundation and act like a true gentleman for the month of November.
Now you’re set for Movember don’t forget to sign-up at Movember.com!